Do you Have Math Anxiety? - (Part 1 of 2)

Do you Have Math Anxiety? - (Part 1 of 2)


Do you Have Math Anxiety? - (Part 1 of 2)


What is Math anxiety?

Math anxiety is “the panic, helplessness, and mental confusion that arises among some people when they need to solve mathematical problems. Physical symptoms of math anxiety include increased heart rate, sweaty  hands, upset stomach, and light-headed. Psychological symptoms include an inability to concentrate, the feelings of helplessness, worry, and disgrace

Where does it come from?

Usually math anxiety comes from unpleasant experiences in mathematics in the person's past. Unfortunately, math anxiety is often due to poor teaching and poor experiences in math which typically leads to math anxiety. This could be being punished by a parent or teacher for failing to master a mathematical concept or being embarrassed in front of family and friends when failing a math test/exam. A single incidents like this could have left a lasting impression on the student if made to feel ashamed or embarrassed. Time limit on  tests/ exam  and the fear of public embarrassment are two major factors of math anxiety. Even if a student has no problems completing their work at home, they may have difficulty doing well for a test or exam. Since the results of tests/exam usually affects a student's overall math performance, the negative results of math anxiety reinforce their feeling of inadequacy and  creates a vicious cycle in which fear of math interferes with learning math which leads to more negative math experiences.


Do You Have Math Anxiety?

Choose your answers from 1 to 5; sum them up and check your score below. 
(1) = Highly Disagree, (3) = Neutral, (5) = Highly Agree.

1. I cringe when I have to go to math class. (1| 2| 3| 4 |5)

2. I am uneasy about going to the white board to solve problems in a math class. (1| 2| 3| 4 |5)

3. I am afraid to ask questions in math class. (1| 2| 3| 4 |5)

4. I am worried about being called by the teacher to answer questions in math class. (1| 2| 3| 4 |5)

5. I understand math now, but I worry that it's going to get really difficult soon. (1| 2| 3| 4 |5)

6. I tend to day-dream in math class. (1| 2| 3| 4 |5)

7. I fear math tests more than any other kind. (1| 2| 3| 4 |5)

8. I don't know how to study for math tests. (1| 2| 3| 4 |5)

9. It's clear to me in math class, but when I go home it's like I forget what is taught. (1| 2| 3| 4 |5)

10. I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up with the rest of the class. (1| 2| 3| 4 |5)


Check your score:
40-50 No doubt! You have math anxiety.
30-39 You're still fearful about math.
20-29 On the fence!
10-19 Wow! You have no math anxiety


(Source: http://www.mathpower.com/anxtest.htm)


Additional Math (A-Maths) and Math (E-Math) Tutor in Woodlands, Chua Chu Kang,
Sembawang, Bukit Panjang, Yishun and Johor Bahru.
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

I created this Blog after my students told me that there is very little information about how to solve GCE O Level Math and Additional Math (A-Math) questions on the internet. Even if they manage to find, the solution were for very basic questions. I am a Full-time Math Tutor in Singapore. I tutor mainly in Northern Singapore (Woodlands, Chua Chu Kang, Bukit Panjang, Yishun and Sembawang). I also tutor in Johor Bahru.
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment
test
Real Time Web Analytics